All conference deadlines have been extended.
SECAC 2020 - Richmond, Virginia
SECAC has waived fees for Juried Exhibition entries.
Conference Dates: October 21 – 24, 2020
Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts is honored to host the 76th annual meeting of SECAC in Richmond, VA from October 21-24, 2020. As its theme, the conference will engage the concept of commonwealth as an ideal of common good that pervades the political landscape of arts and educational institutions. We will question the complexities of a commonwealth, both in its original utopian form and its attendant failings as a colonial structure. With its rich history and diverse arts community, the city of Richmond will serve as an excellent setting to explore the 2020 conference theme through panel and round-table sessions, special events and exhibitions, and countless opportunities for individual exploration.
We are planning for over 120 individual sessions at the 2020 conference, all to take place at the conference hotel. Additionally, we have exciting programming for conference participants, including:
● Keynote lecture by Valerie Cassel Oliver, Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
● Juried Members’ Exhibition at The Anderson (VCUarts campus), with prizes awarded by guest juror, Dr. Sarah Eckhardt, Associate Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
● 2019 SECAC Artist’s Fellowship Exhibition at the VCUarts Fine Arts Building gallery, and opportunity for open studio visits
● Opening reception and awards luncheon at the conference hotel
● Excursions to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, VCU’s Institute of Contemporary Art, and the Hartnett Museum of Art at the University of Richmond
Conference Registration Rates
Individual member: early $195 | regular $245 | on-site $295
Early conference registration will open on August 4, 2020.